Dealing with Thinning Hair
When our hair starts to thin, it isn’t seen as the most glamorous thing when we look in the mirror. It often leads to stress about hair loss, or it’s a sign that hair loss has begun. Most of the time, the cause is hereditary. However, there are also some other things that could cause hair loss besides your genetics, and there are ways you can fight it.
Find the Cause
What is causing the hair loss? Most of the time, it comes down to hormones. At any age, if there is an abundance of testosterone in the male or female body, it can be converted into another hormone known as Dihydrotestosterone (DHT), which is a major factor contributing to hair loss. However, there are ways to disrupt the production of DHT that builds up on your scalp. You can add some more B Vitamins to your diet, speciicsally B6 to disrupt the conversion of testosterone into DHT, or you can attack the source by topically adding some Saw Palmetto extract. Many believe that it blocks the enzyme that converts the hormone testosterone into DHT; your best bet is to use hair loss shampoos made with Ketoconazole, B6, and/or Saw Palmetto to wash your scalp of that DHT.
Is it medical? If you haven’t checked it out with the doctor yet, you may want to make an appointment. Hair thinning or losing hair could come down to a pre-existing or new medical condition. There are disorders out there like Alopecia Areata, and thyroid issues, but it could come down to a simple scalp infection. Nothing to brag about, but it can be treated easily. On that note, also talk to your doctor if you are taking any medications. Those that treat cancer, depression, and heart problems are some of the big ones that can cause hair loss.
Are you stressed? Hair loss can happen due to a traumatic event or if someone suddenly starts dealing with chronic stress. Tension and stress can harm the body in many ways; low immunity, physical and mental fatigue, depression, and yes, hair loss. If your hair loss is related to stress or a new medication as mentioned above, then your hair will grow back soon after resolving the stressful issues or changing medications.
How to Deal with It
There are a few things you can do to combat hair loss, or you can find ways to deal with it. The two most common ways are to “just accept it,” which is usually said more easily than it can be done. Good news is, you’re not alone. At least half of the male population deals with hair loss every day, and most of them still live happy, fulfilling lives. You can also embrace the thinning hair, the baldness, and just cut it all off. Last week, we discussed plenty of hair styles for men with thinning hair. There are some other things you can do though.
– Grow a beard – The more hair you have on your face, the less people notice the lack of it on your head
– Style your hair, but don’t overdo it – Giving yourself a new hairdo can easily distract people from thinning hair, but if you over do it, you’ll end up separating the hair and making it obvious. Also, over blow-drying hair will make it look dull and flat
– Volumizing – Use some volumizing shampoo or conditioner in your hair to make it thicker and give it additional volume. This way, you can still keep your head covered with hair, even if it is thinning
– Changing your diet – Sometimes we just don’t get enough nutrients. Eating foods rich in iron, zinc, protein, and fatty acids can help with hair growth
– Vitamins and Supplements – If you’re not a fan of changing your diet, you can always take a few vitamin pills or supplements during the day. A boost of Vitamin A, D, B, C, and E will greatly improve the quality of your hair and can help it grow
– Use hair loss treatments – There are many shampoos and topical treatments out on the market these days that help treat hair loss and promote hair growth
– Hair Pieces – You can always give in and buy a hair piece, a wig, or if you have long hair, extensions
– Surgical – Hair transplants, laser therapy, hair plugs, there’s a few choices out there if you’re really looking
– Scalp massage – Massaging your scalp, especially with natural oils, can do wonders for hair growth
Losing your hair or having it thin isn’t the end of the world. You’re not alone, some of your best friends are probably thinning out too. However, you can do a few things to fight back, and there are plenty of hair treatment products out there to use.