Home / Hair Loss Treatments / Myths about Hair Loss Myths about Hair Loss We’ve all heard the many myths about hair loss. “If you keep wearing a hat, you’re going to go bald,” “If you’re going bald, you have too much testosterone,” or a family favorite, “Blame your mother.” However, none of these factors have to do with hair loss (not 100% anyways). Surprised? You’re about to learn the truth about these myths about what causes hair loss. You get it from your Mom This is not completely true. Yes, you will get some hair loss gene’s from your mother if her father is bald, no question about it. Surprisingly, your mother’s genes for hair loss are more dominant than your father’s. However, it’s also possible to inherit hair loss from your father’s side. Wearing hats make you bald People think wearing a hat makes you go bald because your head isn’t getting enough air, which doesn’t make sense because your scalp doesn’t breathe. If anything, wearing a hat protects your head and your hair from the sun. Getting too much Sun No, sun exposure won’t lead to baldness. Yes, too much sun exposure can cause your hair to get dry, frizzy, and dull, as discussed in this article about hair and sun damage. However, it will not cause baldness—just horrible sun burns. Hair Styling Hair care products and hardware are for styling, not for going bald. Using hair gels, pomade, or other similar items aren’t going to cause hair loss. However, be wary of some of the chemicals in gels and other products that can weaken or even damage hair. Moreover, over styling your hair with mechanical work i.e. flat irons. It’s hair, not an automobile. Too much testosterone This is the silliest one ever. The manlier you are, the less hair you have? Talk about reversing the cultural norm. Actually, most men link a lack of hair to sex appeal, but the two don’t go hand-in-hand. The real hormonal cause is an abundance of (Dihydrotestosterone) DHT, which is converted from testosterone. So, if you do have a lot of testosterone, you’re prone to having too much DHT, but too much testosterone does not equate to hair loss. A shampoo with ketoconazole will fix that though. It’s a guy problem Actually, it’s not just men who go bald. Have you seen those hair transplant commercials with women? Men make up about 60-70% of the hair loss population. The other 40-30% is coming from the female gender. If you’re bald, then you’re old Not necessarily true. Do the elderly have less hair than the youth? Yes, absolutely…most of the time. However, people can start going bald in their late teens, and 18 years old isn’t old. Wait until you’re 40 to start saying that. Too much shampoo This can be true depending on the shampoo you use. If it has harsh chemicals that can damage your hair, like sulfate, it’s likely that you may experience hair problems. But keeping your hair and scalp overly clean will not cause you to lose your hair. If anything, it will help get rid of the fungi and other buildup, which can cause dandruff and other problems. The only thing clean hair makes you prone to is lice. Decreased blood flow to the scalp Yes, the scalp needs good blood circulation to promote hair growth and thicker, fuller hair. But once you lose hair, stimulating your scalp isn’t going to magically cause hair to grow back. Decreased blood flow happens when you go bald because those areas of the scalp no longer need blood to keep the hair healthy. That’s why you may notice a lack of blood circulation in the scalp. Trauma turns your hair grey Physical and emotional stress can cause hair to turn grey and result in hair loss. However, if you’re not already at an age where you’re losing your hair, it will grow back once the things calm down.